Event Date: March 9-10th, 2023
Pasadena Convention Center
This year SCALE is also hosting the first-ever Kubernetes Community Day in the Los Angeles area. We plan to have workshops, talks, and lightning talks covering everything Cloud Native. This will include Kubernetes, Docker, serverless, CI/CD, container security, scaling clouds, operators, Istio, gRPC, Etcd, cgroups, Prometheus, ArgoCD, Kubevirt, WASM, serverless, containerized desktops and much more.
KCD-LA will consist of one day of workshops (including 2-3 workshops) followed by one single-track day of regular sessions.
Topics of Discussion
* Who/What/Where/When/Why of openTelemetry
* Demystifying observability terms (telemetry, instrumentation, cardinality, percentile, observability)
* Nuts and Bolts of Instrumentation
* Tour of the Sample App
* Automatic instrumentation with openTelemetry
* Explore OOTB response time metric on charts
* Manually add a label to the metric and review new facets to query by
* Explore an OOTB trace
* Manually instrument and add a span and review new level of visibility
* Discussion – when do you think instrumenting with metrics is a good fit vs spans? How do you think each affects the monitoring components? (e.g. a metric with user_id will not scale well).
Presenter: Paige Cruz, Senior Developer Advocate, Chronosphere
Paige Cruz is a Senior Developer Advocate at Chronosphere passionate about cultivating sustainable on-call practices and bringing folks their aha moment with observability. She started as a software engineer at New Relic before switching to Site Reliability Engineering holding the pager for InVision, Lightstep, and Weedmaps. Off-the-clock you can find her spinning yarn, swooning over alpacas, or watching trash TV on Bravo.